Monday, September 6, 2010

FAQs

Here are the answers to questions you all have asked. Feel free to ask more!

How long are you gone?
I leave October 5, 2010 and my service ends December 9, 2012.


Where will you live?
During my 9 week pre-service training, I will stay with a family in Apia. That is where the information stops. I'm not sure what town I will be placed in and if I will be living with a family or on my own. Stay tuned!!

What will you be doing?
I have two primary duties. I am an English teacher in a rural primary school. I will be teaching English to year seven (US sixth grade) students and co-teaching the remaining students with a Samoan teacher. The normal class day runs from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. I am also a Community Development volunteer. I will not know the specifics of this job until I arrive and built relationships with my community. This is what the PC has told me: I will be helping individuals and/or community groups with activities associated with health awareness, education, youth development, gardening, water and sanitation, small business development, and conservation/environment.

Do you get paid?
No, but I do get a monthly allowance that should cover my main living expenses and some weekend fun. Additionally, each month I get $24 for travel.

What do you wear?
The Samoan culture is very concervative. Women rarely wear pants and only wear shorts for informal occasions. At work, I will be wearing long skirts (mid-calf) and a conservative top. When I swim, I will wear board shorts and a rash guard. Women never wear tank tops and my shorts must cover my knees. I am still trying to figure out what I need to wear when I go running.

What will I eat?
Canned, dried, and packaged foods are readily available. The local foods are papayas, bananas, taro, breadfruit, and fish. The staples are rice, flour, sugar, salt, and bread. Butter and meat are available. More expensive products are beans, oatmeal, tomato sauce, sour cream, cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt. I'm hoping my family will send me a lot of dried fruits, nuts, and granola bars to keep me going!

Do you get to come home?
I plan on coming home twice. Each month I accrue two vacation days.





No comments:

Post a Comment